- CMC, computer, mediated, communication, synchronous, asynchronous,
cooperative, interaction, online, education, research.
- Description (from the abstract)
- Computer-mediated communication (CMC) is becoming accessible to greater numbers of people and "online" education is growing as a viable supplementary or alternative approach for instruction and learning. The research reported in this study explores and describes the comparative effects of synchronous text-based CMC with asynchronous text-based CMC in terms of cognitive and cooperative activity, the quality of outcomes, and subjective impressions of the participants.
- Although this thesis is based on research into online education that was undertaken in the period 1985 - 1991 (before the Internet and WWW became a modern phenomenon), the approach to the study of learners online, and the issues relating to synchronous and asynchronous forms of interaction remain current. Further, the review of communication, CMC, and educational CMC, provides an interesting perspective on the evolution of this medium.
- Start with the Title Page!
- Start with the Table of Contents!
- This thesis is also available in the libraries of the University of Toronto, and the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education.
- It's all online, but if you really, really, need a hard copy of the original (spiral bound), please send for order information via email@example.com
NOTICE: The thesis had to be converted from the Scribe markup language to HTML. Citations and references remain in Scribe until I have time to convert them too :) ---rob---